I decided to round up the links to some of the music blogs I’ve been checking out lately because, well, you keep asking me to and I keep promising I’ll get to it. So here you go, in no particular order:
Pitchfork isn’t really a blog but I’m going to put it at the top of the list because it’s useful. And even when not useful, it’s silly and amusing (although not intentionally so). Pitchfork is frequently accused of being over-wrought, pretentious and opaque (often by me). Isn’t that what rock journalism is all about? Quit your whining.
Brooklyn Vegan, of course, because you’re not cool unless you read Brooklyn Vegan.
Music snobbery is also a good read, although I have the same problem with Music Snobbery that I have with Brooklyn Vegan – I’m unfamiliar with a lot of the venues they mention, but that’s okay.
The Music Slut is constantly posting videos I’d otherwise miss out on, seeing as I no long spend my days in an office and lack coworkers dropping by and asking, “Hey, have you seen…”
is where I learn important tidbits such as: Santogold changed her name to Santigold. Every bit as silly as it sounds, but I bet it’s been publicity gold. Case in point: this is the first time I’ve ever mentioned Santigold on my site, ever. Also probably the last, but that’s not the point.
- people who are just back from a really awesome run
- people who are involved with “computers”
- DJs at the airport
- DJs who are drunk
- people who don’t have anyone’s email address
- people who are mad at television
- people who have forgotten how to email
- people who have forgotten how to text
- people who are involved in “social networking” and optimizing the power of re-Tweeting and “computers”
- people who can’t find a reasonable picture of themselves
- people who really like the news
- DJs at the airport
- people who are hungry
- people who are cold
- people who are back from an OK run
- people who can’t figure out what to feed their kids
- Shaquille O’Neal
- people who have never seen snow
- Rachel Maddow
- forty-five people I’ve never heard of who all invented the internet
- people who are concerned about the collapse of the publishing industry
- people who like Battlestar Galactica
- rappers who are eating food
- people who are about to go for a run
- DJs who want to know where you are
- people who are mad at Twitter
- people who are mad at rappers
- a nun
His New Yorker music blog is where the in-depth music writing is, but I just wanted an excuse to link to that twitter post.
Sovietpanda is a Minneapolis music blogger and DJ who came to my attention recently after a friend forwarded me one of his tweets: